No slots in secondary schools for 17,000 candidates who sat KCPE, reveals Ministry of Education

Form one students at Pangani girls in Nairobi on January 9, 2018. [Photo/nation.co.ke]

The Ministry of Education has released data, revealing that about 17,000 candidates who sat the 2018 KCPE may miss Form One slots in regional schools.

Of the 1,038,162 candidates who sat this year’s examination, only 1,021,457 will have slots available for them in secondary schools, indicates the Ministry’s data.

Some 31,337 students have already been placed across the 103 national schools, 1,626 students to Special Needs Education schools.

Selection to extra-county, county and sub-county schools started yesterday with slots available for some 998,000 candidates.

All the candidates for sub-county schools will be selected from the host sub-county based on merit and choice.

These criteria are applied regardless of whether candidates sat KCPE in private or public schools.

Private schools that declared 66,992 slots last year will this year make available 60,356 vacancies for Form One.

Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed said on Monday that the ministry was determined to ensure that Form One students report to school not later than January 11, 2019.

“As I announced during the release of the KCPE results, there will be no second selection. There is therefore no reason for parents to delay their children from reporting to school on the provided dates,” Amina said.

Generally, the CS said there are some 12,045 places available for refugees in Kakuma and Dadaab Refugee camp.

ALSO READ:

  1. 3 KCSE candidates from same county die during exams
  2. Mother of 10 who scored 143 in KCPE awaiting to join form one